Transformers movie with Mark Wahlberg confirmed for big screen return in 2017

Transformers will be making a welcome return to the big screen once again in 2017. Because, we literally cannot get enough. The reboot, which has become box office gold since the franchise returned in 2007, has produced four new films in just seven years – each nearing or surpassing the $1 billion mark.

2014’s did exactly that, racking up 1.091 billion dollars globally last year with a refreshed cast. Mark Wahlberg and co broke records in China so of course, Paramount will keep to their tri-annual schedule like clockwork.

CEO Brian Goldner confirmed that the next episode will drop in 2017 during a Hasbro earning conference call on April 20.”We have in fact brought in Akiva Goldsman to lead a group of writers to really create a strategic plan around Transformers,” he told reporters yesterday. “We think there are any number of stories to be told from the brand that has been around for 30 years with amazing canon and mythology. We would expect the sequel to the Transformers movie to happen in 2017.”

Mark Wahlberg, Transformers

Mark Wahlberg in Transformers: Age of Extinction (Paramount)

Goldman,who won an Academy Award for his work on 2001’s A Beautful Mind, has reportedly been roped in to develop the franchise further with eventual spin-offs and sequels in a similar fashion to the upcoming Star Wars trilogy for Disney. Basically they’re going to rinse their largest cash cow bone dry. Although he’s not expected to put pen to paper for the new film, just oversee its development.

Paramount previously hoped the sequel to last year’s Age of Extinction would make its way into cinemas in Director Michael Bay, who has helmed each Transformers since 2007, has postponed the project to ficus on his Benghazi movie 13 Hours. Mark Wahlberg has already signed on for future sequela and recently told MTV that he can’t wait to get back on set, teasing: “I can’t speak for Mr. Bay, but something tells me we’ll be on the set soon.”