The Verve Officially Have The Saddest Song
The Verve’s seminal hit ‘The Drugs Don’t Work’ is the song most likely to make you cry, according to an expert.
Dr Harry Witchel carried out the research and claims that scientifically the 1997 hit will bring more people to tears than anything else.
The scientific tests measured people’s heart rate, breathing and skin temperature as they listened to a variety of tear jerkers.
It beat the likes of Robbie Williams’ ‘Angels’ and Elton John’s ‘Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word’ to claim the unique feat.
The full top ten looks like this:
1. The Verve – The Drugs Don’t Work
2. Robbie Williams – Angels
3. Elton John – Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
4. Whitney Houston – I Will Always Love You
5. Sinead O’Connor – Nothing Compares 2 U
6. Will Young – Leave Right Now
7. Elvis Presley – Are You Lonesome Tonight
8. Christina Aguilera – Beautiful
9. James Blunt – Goodbye My Lover
10. Radiohead – Fake Plastic Trees
On the other end of the scale, Lily Allen’s ‘LDN’ was the song most likely to make people happy, while the most exhilarating tracks was Blur’s Song 2.
Dr Witchel is a physiology and music expert and carried out the study for Nokia on songs.
‘The Drugs Don’t Work’ was number one on the week that Princess Diana died nine years ago.