Mean Girls Is 10 Years Old: The 63 Definitive Quotes
This June will mark the TENTH anniversary of Mean Girls’ release in UK cinemas. No, really. Ten years since Cady Heron swanned into North Shore High School and became the best of frenemies with Regina George, Karen Smith and the fantastically named Gretchen Wieners.
At the Sundance Festival this week, Rachel McAdams (Regina) was asked to name her favourite quotes from the film – to which she said the immortal line: “Is butter a carb?”
That’s just the tip of the iceberg, though.
Check out the definitive list of quotes from Mean Girls below – ranked in scientifically accurate order from nearly-best to best.
The Mean Girls ladies (Studio still)
63. “What is happening with the world?” – Regina is unimpressed at the Spring Fling nominations.
62. “Don’t let the haters stop you from doing your thang.” – Wise, Kevin G. Wise.
61. “I’m a mouse. Duh!” – Karen can’t understand why her Halloween costume isn’t recognised.
60. “What are you saying about?” – Cady can’t handle her first four-way call.
59. “You can walk home, b***hes!” – Regina reacts to rejection.
58. “You know, it’s not really required of you to make a speech.” – Mr Duvall doesn’t know why Cady is being epic at the Spring Fling.
57. “But you love Ladysmith Black Mambazo!” – Cady’s mother is astounded.
56. “It’s October 3rd.” – Never has a date been so iconic. Thanks, Cady.
55. “Yeah, but he’s my first cousin.” – Karen doesn’t get how families work.
54. “Those b***hes…” – Janis is unhappy at being left out of the Burn Book.
53. “The limit does not exist!” – Cady finally cracks the Mathletes problem.
52. “He’s almost too gay to function.” – Janis affectionately introduces BFF Damien.
51. “I want my pink shirt back! I want my pink shirt back!” – Damien, after Cady falls out with Janis.
50. “I don’t know, now that she’s getting fatter she’s got pretty big jugs.” – Janis gives her frank analysis of Regina.
49. “I don’t think my father, the inventor of Toaster Strudel, would be too pleased to hear about this.” – Gretchen tries to threaten the Principle.
48. “Alyssa, I’m sorry I called you a gap-toothed b***h. It’s not your fault you’re so gap-toothed.” A sincere apology from one student.
47. “You smell like a baby prostitute.” – Janis doesn’t hold back when Cady sports new perfume.
46. “I didn’t say anything.” – Cady isn’t sure what to make of Regina saying “Shut up!”
45. “Don’t have sex, because you will get pregnant and die! Don’t have sex in the missionary position, don’t have sex standing up, just don’t do it, OK, promise? OK, now everybody take some rubbers.” – Sex Ed with Coach Carr.
44. “She’s a life ruiner. She ruins people’s lives.” – Janis is no fan of Regina.
43. “Irregardless, ex-boyfriends are just off limits to friends. I mean that’s just like the rules of feminism.” – Preach, Gretchen!
42. “Oh, it’s like slang, from… England.” – Gretchen tries to justify ‘Fetch’.
41. “I will keep you here until four.” – Mr Duvall is reminded that he can’t keep the girls in the gym “all night”.
40. “Oh no, I can’t say anything else until I have a parent or lawyer present.” – Gretchen gets formal once the Burn Book is made public.
39. “Regina George is not sweet! She’s a scum-sucking road w***e, she ruined my life!” – More delicate words from Janis.
38. “On Wednesdays we wear pink!” – Karen proudly announces the fashion timetable.
37. “That’s why her hair is so big, it’s full of secrets.” – Damien tells Cady about Gretchen.
36. “Oh my god, she’s so annoying.” – Karen messes up a four-way call and accidentally talks about Gretchen to Gretchen.
35. “One time she punched me in the face… it was awesome.” – Bethany Byrd is a proud victim.
34. “Oh my God – Danny DeVito! I love your work!” – Damien responds to a girl who calls him out for being in the girls’ toilets.
33. “Are they not supposed to be let out when they’re grounded?” – Cady’s dad doesn’t understand how punishment works.
32. “I oughta cancel your Spring Fling. I’m not gonna do that because we’ve already paid the DJ.” – Mr Duvall can’t follow through on his threat.
31. “Did you have an awesome time? Did you drink awesome shooters, listen to awesome music, and then just sit around and soak up each others awesomeness?” – Janis is not impressed with Cady.
30. “So if you’re from Africa, why are you white?.” – Karen doesn’t get it.
29. “My apologies. I have a nephew named Anfernee, and I know how mad he gets when I call him Anthony. Almost as mad as I get when I think about the fact that my sister named him Anfernee.” – Mr Duvall has problems too.
28. “I just have a lot of feelings.” – The girl from the random school explains her monologue.
27. “I know it may look like I was being like a b***h, but that’s only because I was acting like a b***h.” – Fair enough, Cady.
26. “Gretchen, I’m sorry I laughed at you that time you got diarrhea at Barnes & Nobles. And I’m sorry for telling everyone about it. And I’m sorry for repeating it now.” – Karen is tactful as ever.
25. “I have this theory, that if you cut off all her hair she’d look like a British man.” – Cady is really getting to the Plastic Sabotage thing.
24. “There’s a 30% chance that it’s already raining!” – Karen, while standing in the rain.
23. “I’m sorry that people are so jealous of me… but I can’t help it that I’m so popular.” – Gretchen’s apology doesn’t go down well.
22. “Your nanna and I have that in common.” – Ms Norbury, after Damien randomly tells her about his grandmother taking her wig off when she’s drunk.
21. “So you agree – You think you’re really pretty?” – Regina interrogates Cady.
20. “I gave him everything! I was half a virgin when I met him.” – Regina is heartbroken.
19. “Grool… I meant to say cool and then I started to say great.” – Cady gets tongue-tied with Aaron Samuels.
18. “Why should Caesar just get to stomp around like a giant while the rest of us try not to get smushed under his big feet? Brutus is just as cute as Caesar, right? Brutus is just as smart as Caesar, people totally like Brutus just as much as they like Caesar, and when did it become okay for one person to be the boss of everybody because that’s not what Rome is about! We should totally just STAB CAESAR!” – Gretchen cracks.
17. “That is the ugliest f-ing skirt I’ve ever seen.” – Regina lets rip.
16. “I have a fifth sense… It’s like I have ESPN or something. My breasts can always tell when it’s going to rain.” – Karen spills on her special talent.
15. “Your mom’s chest hair!” – Janis, when asked what her wig is made of.
14. “Can I get you guys anything? Some snacks? A condom? Let me know! Oh, God love ya.” – Regina George’s mother walks in on the Queen Bee making out with her boyfriend.
13. “You can go shave your back now. Bye, Jason.” – Regina dismisses one of the lads.
12. “I saw Cady Heron wearing army pants and flip flops, so I bought army pants and flip flops.” – Cady becomes a trendsetter.
11. “And none for Gretchen Wieners, bye.” – Damian-as-Santa gets in a quick swipe as he exits.
10. “Somebody wrote in that book that I’m lying about being a virgin, ’cause I use super-jumbo tampons, but I can’t help it if I’ve got a heavy flow and a wide-set vagina!” – Mr Duvall gets more than he bargained for from one student.
9. “God! I am so sorry Regina. Really, I don’t know why I did this. I guess it’s probably because I’ve got a big lesbian crush on you! Suck on that! AY-YI-YI-YI-YI-YI!” – Janis gives the game away.
8. “Is butter a carb?” – Regina’s losing it.
7. “Made out with a hot dog? Oh my God that was one time!” – The Burn Book makes its way around school.
6. “Get in loser, we’re going shopping.” – Regina’s “sweet”, apparently.
5. “Four for you, Glenn Coco! You go, Glenn Coco.” – More immortal words from Damian.
4. “Boo, you w***e!” – Regina is unimpressed with Karen feigning sickness.
3. “YOU CAN’T SIT WITH US!” – Gretchen shrieks at Regina for wearing sweatpants on a Monday.
2. “Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen! It’s not going to happen!” – Regina snaps at Gretchen.
1. “She doesn’t even go here!” – Damian busts an emotional girl after her epic monologue.
Alright… which ones did we miss? Sound off in the comments below.