Bruce Jenner offers ‘heartfelt and deepest sympathies’ to victims in fatal crash

Bruce Jenner has issued a statement following the horrific car crash on Saturday that left one woman dead and seven injured. The reality star and former Olympic athlete has said he is “praying” for those involved and is cooperating with the authorities investigating the collision.

According to reports over the weekend, 65-year-old Jenner rear-ended a Lexus while driving in Los Angeles, after that driver had rear-ended a Toyota Prius. The driver of the Lexus was killed, according to the Los Angeles Times, after their car was propelled into oncoming traffic. Seven other people are reportedly injured, but Bruce was unhurt.

Releasing a statement late Sunday to Us Weekly, Bruce said: “My heartfelt and deepest sympathies go out to the family and loved ones, and to all of those who were involved or injured in this terrible accident. It is a devastating tragedy and I cannot pretend to imagine what this family is going through at this time. I am praying for them. I will continue to cooperate in every way possible.”

Bruce Jenner involved in car crash in LA

Bruce Jenner at the scene of the crash on Saturday (Photo: INFPhoto.com)

Immediately after the collision there were conflicting reports as to whether Bruce, who has been in the headlines recently due to ongoing reports of a gender transition, was trying the outrun the paparazzi. On Sunday though, L.A. County sheriff’s Sgt. Philip Brooks said that while Bruce was being followed by paparazzi when the collision occurred, “it’s doubtful he was trying to outrun them,” the L.A. Times reports.

Jenner passed a sobriety test and voluntarily submitted a blood sample at the scene while The L.A. Times reports that police plan to examine the cellphone records of Jenner and others involved in the accident to see if texting played a role. Photos obtained by TMZ though show that Bruce may have been clutching a cigarette and not a mobile phone while driving.

Alan Nierob, a publicist for Jenner has said he will provide cellphone records if requested by investigators. “The evidence will show that Bruce was not texting at the time of the accident,” Nierob said in a statement. Based on the evidence in reports so far, it seems unlikely that Jenner will face any sort of criminal prosecution.

Bruce’s family made no mention of the crash over the weekend as his daughters with former wife Kris Jenner, Kendall and Kylie attended Grammy events with their older sister Kim and Khloe Kardashian, and Kim’s husband Kanye West who performed at the ceremony on Sunday night.