X Factor judge Gary Barlow has defended X Factor bosses decision to fast track talented hopefuls through the audition process by claiming that it add tension to the show.
Dismissing the claims that the new format will fix it for favoured acts to be put through to the various rounds, Gary, who arrived in Liverpool with Louis Walsh, Tulisa Contostavlos and guest judge Geri Halliwell on Wednesday, told The Sun:
"It will have a good effect. I expect the level of talent to go up.
“That means the people who walk in off the street and have to compete with that talent have to learn quickly.”
Admitting that he was taken in for crisis talks with Simon Cowell where he was told by the media mogul that he needed to find better talent, Gary added:
"We had a big review with Simon about the show and the acts. His thing with me is that he never talks about what you say as a judge, he’s always about the acts. He says we’ve got to find more stars, we’ve got to develop them, we’ve got to look back at the tapes from last year and see if there are people we’ve missed.
“It’s always about the talent and that’s the same reason I’m here, finding talent.”
Revealing that he had made his decision to return to the show just a couple of weeks after the show ended last year, Gary said:
"I was asked to do this show again at the final last year. After a couple of weeks off I really missed it and thought, ‘I am definitely up for another run’.
“You are thrown in a lion pit, especially with the live shows — there’s a lot of pressure with those shows. I think it was tricky but by the end I enjoyed it and thought, ‘I’ve gotta have more of this’.”
What do you think?
The X Factor Is BACK As The Judges Walk The Red Carpet!