Oscar winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman died from a drug mixture, including heroin, cocaine and amphetamine, the New York medical examiner's office revealed on Friday.
The 46-year-old was found dead on February 2 in his New York apartment from an apparent drug overdose. The Hunger Games actor struggled with addiction in his twenties, but had managed to stay clean for 20 years until last Summer when he relapsed and entered rehab for a ten day treatment program.
"They're not feeling it, but it's still having an impact on their ability to breathe, and that's the real problem," Dr. Sanjay Gupta, CNN's chief medical correspondent said. "It's called stacking. You can stack the same drug too close together, or you can start to stack other drugs, one on top of the other. That's how people get into trouble. They do call it accidental death as well."
Philip Seymour Hoffman was laid to rest in NYC on February 7 (WENN)
A mixture of "acute mixed drug intoxication, including heroin, cocaine, benzodiazepines and amphetamine" is said to be the reason behind his tragic death.
Dozens of suspected bags of heroin were found near his body after he was believed to have been found with a hypodermic needle in his arm.
Hoffman reportedly withdraw £735 ($1,200) during six visits to the same cash machine near his home the day before his death.
The Oscar winner was found unconscious by friends at his apartment (SplashNews)
The Hollywood star leaves behind long-term partner Mimi O"Donnell and three children.
The family issued a statement in the wake of his death which read: "We are devastated by the loss of our beloved Phil and appreciate the outpouring of love and support we have received from everyone. This is tragic and sudden loss and we ask that you respect our privacy during this time of grieving. Please keep Phil in your thoughts and prayers."